Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Spirit is the Teacher Jan. 26th

Dear Family,
 
I feel like kind of a baby right now. I'm just sitting here crying haha. Don't worry. All good tears. But reading everyone's emails makes me feel so blessed to have such a wonderful and supportive family. Thanks for all you do for me. I wrote mom and dad both some of my thoughts about trials, so maybe if you want my thoughts on those they might share them with you if you ask really nicely;) Anyway. Just know that I miss you all, and am sorry to hear about Aunt Elna, but I know she is watching over all of us now. What a beautiful thought. Life is so beautiful.
 
Anyway. Enough of that. Here are a few things about this week. Mostly about meeting with Ho Sunhee. I LOVE HER. I'm fairly certain no one has ever been more prepared to receive the gospel than her and her family. It's INCREDIBLE. Nothing short of a miracle. We met with her twice last week, and they were the best lessons I've ever been privileged to attend. She is amazing. We taught her the plan of salvation, and before we taught each principle, she would say something about how she doesn't like normal religions for this reason, or she really believes this, or whatever, and Sister Knox and I would just look at each other in shock, because it would lead exactly into the atonement or the kingdoms of glory or whatever it was. She is seriously SOOOO prepared. Holy cow. I don't know how this is happening. But yeah. This is exactly what she already believes, so she isn't having any trouble accepting it.
 
But here is the coolest part for me. We were teaching her about the Godhead and the Holy Ghost, and she was a little confused about the Spirit and what His job is and all of that. So we explained to her that the spirit is the teacher. He is the one that teaches our hearts and spirits truth. It was so interesting to explain that, because I have always know that, but to state it so simply was powerful, and she REALLY got it! And making that clear from the beginning really has helped her understand how important the Spirit is. We were talking about how to recognize the spirit and she told us that before in her life she never really believed in the Holy Ghost, until she was pregnant with her boys. She said that when she was pregnant she could just feel the spirit. It was amazing to hear her testify to us that the spirit is real. It was incredible, and I know that the Lord blessed her with that realization to help in her conversion now. It's incredible. Anyway. In our next lesson with her, we ended and were just sitting there after the prayer and she says to us, "I feel something..... It's the spirit. Isn't it?" And then she kind of looked around and said, "I can feel it. It's in this whole room. I can feel it." IT WAS AWESOME!! I have never been so happy. She totally gets it. I'm sure that the way I explained this even didn't do it any justice, but it was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life, because that's how I feel when I feel the spirit. It's just engulfing me. It's so powerful. She is so open to the spirit, so she is being taught so much, so quickly. It's crazy. I feel SO blessed to be able to witness it.
 
Anyway, so we extended a baptismal commitment to her and had her read 2 Nephi 31. She said she wants to be baptized, but she wants to continue learning first, so she can endure to the end like it says in that chapter, which is incredible, because that means she totally believes what she is reading in the Book of Mormon. Ah. Missionary work is incredible. I have NO idea why Heavenly Father even lets me participate in His work, but every single day my heart is overflowing with gratitude that he allows me to be here. It's incredible!
 
This week I have been studying about humility, because I realized I am incredibly prideful, and that just creates ALL kinds of problems haha. Anyway, here is something I am learning. Humility is when we gratefully recognize our dependence on Heavenly Father at ALL times. Not just when we're struggling. That is hard to do, but if we recognize our imperfections at all times and rely on the Lord, we will receive strength and power. I love John 5:30, because It's Jesus telling us that He can't do anything without God, and if HE can't, I certainly cant! It's also good to remember that just like with Alma the older and the saints he baptized at the waters of Mormon, sometimes the Lord gives us trials to test our patience and help us grow, and then when we endure it well and pray to him, we are given strength and miracles occur. We are able to submit cheerfully to all things the Lord asks of us. That's something I really need to work on. Anyway. That's my thoughts on humility.
 
A few quick interesting things about my time here. First of all. The winter has not been bad here. It snowed only 3 times since I've been here (6 weeks now), and 2 of those times it melted the same day. This last week it stuck for maybe 5 days, but it's all gone again. It feels like spring!!:) Also, I'm not that good at chopsticks still, BUT, we went to eat some spaghetti at an Italian restaurant, and they only had forks. I was DYING without chopsticks! They are WAY more useful than a fork. So that's cool. I guess I'm adjusting. I feel like the Lord is switching my stomach to like Korean food, because my tummy isn't happy pretty often, but it's ok. I also have gotten used to not having taste buds. haha the spicy food burns them off. Which is nice;) Another thing is I am getting really bad at speaking in English. So when I get home I"m going to be super weird. Sorry about that.... haha. But I think It's a good thing! Also, Sister Knox's and my companionship is finally good I feel like. Not perfect, but good. We are consistently on good terms! haha Woohoo:) And she hugged me this week. A big shock, but I'm glad she doesn't hate me anymore.
 
I love you all with all my heart! You have no idea how much I look up to you all and appreciate your wonderful support! I have literally too many blessings! Thanks everyone! Have a wonderful week:):):) Remember to smile, even if you don't feel happy! Especially then:)
 
Love,
Sister Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment