Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Jan. 5th The year of the Missionary.... and whole dead fish soup...

Wow! What a great week it's been:) It's been really warm this week:) Like above freezing most days! I was SO excited! It was like summer! hahaha But yeah. A really great first week of 2014.
For new years, we had a very exciting day. Koreans have a really fun tradition on new years. Rather than staying up really late Dec 31, they get up early on Jan 1 and go watch the sun rise! It's awesome. As the first rays of the new year come up, you make a wish for the year. We went with our ward, and President and Sister Morrise. I love them!! It was so great. We all walked to Olympic park (where they had the 88 Olympics) and went tot he top of this big hill. We sung 'the morning breaks', and a few other hymns in Korean, and then drank some weird Korean drink in lieu of hot chocolate. haha Sister Morisse was tempted to pour it out. haha I love her. Anyway, It was really glorious as we sat there watching the horizon for the sun to come up. It was AWESOME! When it finally came over the mountain, I was just so overwhelmed with happiness, and I just know it's going to be a great year! I get the pleasure of being a missionary all of 2014, which is super exciting! Anyway. I think that's a tradition I will continue when I get back to America. It was wonderful! The Korean people are so awesome!
Then, we went back to the church with the ward, where they served us a traditional Korean meal- the first meal of the year. It's called dok soup I think. They brought out a big bowl of it for everyone. Like a really big bowl. Like mom's biggest clear mixing bowl big. And everyone's was about half full of soup. But mine was full to the top. So yeah. I started eating that. And it wasn't bad necessarily. But dok is rice cake noodle, and it has a weird consistency, and is really filling. So really there was no way I was going to be able to eat it all. But I was giving it a really good try. I had eaten about a fourth of it, when a looked down at my spoon and realized there was more than just noodles and vegetables in my soup......... there was a whole dead fish on my spoon... Just hanging out.... looking at me.... So I asked my companion about it, and she said to eat it.  But there was no way I could do that. I just don't know how to eat an entire fish. So I just put it back in my soup. (I was really tempted to pull and 'Christmas Vacation' and flick it off of my spoon, but I was afraid it wouldn't work like it does in the movies haha) So I just kept eating my soup, feeling super sick to my stomach, and looking at my fish.... as it looked back at me. Anyway, I ate about 3/4 of the soup, and I have never been more full in my whole life. And then my companion and another missionary started discussing how to butcher an animal (they both lived on farms) and well.... I'll just say I didn't feel very good. Sister Morisse asked me if I was ok, and made them stop talking about it. Haha then she was really nice and ate my fish for me. And made an Elder finish my soup haha. She's my new best friend! I will forever be indebted to her for eating that fish. My hero. Anyway, then we had sweet potato cake, which wasn't too bad, besides the fact you have to eat with chopsticks, and that was just hilarious for everyone to watch. But yeah. So that was a fun food adventure. On a better note, I had some pretty good squid this week. And the bishop took us out for oyster something... which I did alright with.
As far as missionary work goes though, this week has been AWESOME! We started working with 2 less actives, and they are great! One of them joined the church 10 years ago when she was 14, and then stopped going, but last week called us up and asked if she could come to church again. We are meeting with her after church now, and the members have really helped fellowship her already, which is great.  I think that she is someone that I'm supposed to help here, because we are very similar. I love her tons. Her name is Chay Urie. The ward here is Songpa is so awesome! Everyone is so excited to help with missionary work! It's crazy. But really awesome! And makes me feel guilty for never doing member missionary work in Utah. But yeah. Super awesome ward! Ester is really progressing too. She said she will be baptized if she gains a testimony that it's true. Our lessons with her have been really really good this week, which makes me so happy. I love her so much. Also, Monica wasn't able to meet this week because of the holiday, so I missed that.
We also got to go to the temple this week. I'll try to get some pics for you of that. Anyway, I hope you are all having a wonderful week and that New Years was a wonderful one for everyone! Thanks for all of your love and support! You're all amazing!!
Love,
Sister Hunter


No comments:

Post a Comment