Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus :) May 25th

Dear Family,
 
So this week was really good:) Except for a few hours yesterday. haha. But anyway, yesterday at church I was having a really hard time, because of something a member said to me about my Korean abilities. It was really hurtful, mostly because she's one of my favorite members in this ward, and I really trust and love her. But she just said something that made me really discouraged about Korean and everything and I was just really really sad. But there's really only so long you can focus on yourself here, so I just had to stop being sad and focus on other people.
 
Later that night though, we had a ward choir practice for ward conference in a couple weeks, and we were practicing the song "I'm trying to be like Jesus", which I love. Anyway, we were practicing and the Stake president was there because he's in our ward and he asked if we could do him a favor because there was someone coming to the church to get set apart because he was leaving on his mission the next day. He asked us if we could sing Called to serve for the missionary when he arrived before he got set apart, and of course the choir director said yes. Anyway, so we kept practicing our song and then when he came the stake president make him go stand in front of everyone and he looked a little embarassed. And then the stake president changed his mind and asked if we would sing him I'm trying to be like Jesus too. So we all stood up and sang "i'm trying to be like Jesus" (in Korean of course) to this about to be missionary. And basically as soon as we started singing he just started crying, which was really touching in itself, because of the fact that he's a 19 year old boy, and he's about to give up 2 years of his life for the Lord, but as we sang it just really hit me how cool that song is, and how applicable for missionary work it is. Every morning, we put on a badge with Jesus Christ's name on it and go out among Heavenly Father's children representing Him. We try our best to do the things the Lord would do, and as a result, we little by little become more like our Savior:)
 It really touched my heart, and I felt like the spirit just spoke to me about the earlier events and discouragements of the day. I just felt like Heavenly Father was right there and said to me, "It's ok. You are doing your best and working hard. Just keep trying to be like Jesus." So then of course it wasn't long before I was crying too. Heavenly Father is so good to us, and I"m so grateful for the chance I have to be here in Korea, and to try each day to be like Jesus Christ. I love Him. He's incredible, and every morning I love studying about him and then applying what I learn to my missionary work. This has been the best time of my life. Anyway, I"ll copy in the lyrics to "I'm trying to be like Jesus" at the bottom of my email, because they are the best. A little better in Korean honestly, but wonderful in English too:):)
 
Anyway, in other news, we had lessons with both of our investigators this week! Something we haven't had in a LONG time. It was the best! Life here is definitely much different from in Songpa, where I had more investigators than I even told you about because there was never enough time. But I"m so grateful to have two here:) Our lesson with Lee Jongwha was SO good:) For her job she takes care of kids before they get adopted. She's done it with 15 or so kids now, and the two she is sending to america this week she has been taking care of for their whole lives (2 years) and she loves them like they are hers, so it's been a really hard time for her. She really opened up to us about it though and told us that that's really hard for her. I can't imagine a harder job than that, especially since she's not even allowed to take pictures of these kids to remember them by. Anyway, it was so good, because we were able to relate that to Heavenly Father sending us to earth to get a family and learn and grow, just like she is sending our these children to america to recieve another family and learn and grow there. She really liked that, and I think it made her realize more how Heavenly Father feels about us, so that was perfect:) Anyway, I love the plan of salvation and I know that it blesses peoples lives in VERY real ways here on earth, and in the eternities. Right after emailing, we will be going to leave her a message and heart attack her door, because she is saying good bye to the kids right now and meeting their new families, so hopefully it will be a comfort to her when she comes back to an empty house.
 
Yesterday we were able to meet with Kim Geeae, and that was good too. We were getting nervous, because she stopped answering our phonecalls and we hadn't met with her in a while, but then she just came to church yesterday with her family (her little boy is ADORABLE!) and then we met with her later:) It was so good! We watched the restoration video with her and then explained about the Book of Mormon being a testimony of Jesus Christ, and how if the Book of Mormon is true then Joseph Smith was a prophet, and she said she wants to read and find out, and that she had already read the introduction, so it was perfect. She also said that the Joseph Smith story is just a story to her right now, but because she knows that everyone in our church serves without pay, and that we leave our families for so long to teach about this message, her heart has been touched, and she wants to know. It was great. And of course, the Book of Mormon is literally my favorite thing in the whole world, so teaching about it is MY VERY FAVORITE:) It's the best! I just know its true and it helps me EVERY day:) What a blessing it is to have it and to know of it's truthfulness:)
 
So I'll just end with a few random things. One is that Elder Cook is coming to our Mission on Saturday, and that is SO exciting! Can't even wait. He also spoke to us in the MTC, so I get him twice:) How fun. And the Seoul missionaries will be joining us for a joint conference, so that's really exciting! I will get to see everyone from my MTC district, and a few other MTC friends! So exciting! Also, This week it got to be very summerish. It's hot and SO humid. You know it's humid when even my hair is curly. hahaha. But yeah. I"m a little sad because it's only may, but oh well. Summer will be great:) Anyway, that's about it! I love you all and hope all is well:) Thanks for everything you do! You are all the best!
 
Love,
Sister Hunter
 
1. I'm trying to be like Jesus;
I'm following in his ways.
I'm trying to love as he did, in all that I do and say.
At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice,
But I try to listen as the still small voice whispers,
"Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught."
2. I'm trying to love my neighbor;
I'm learning to serve my friends.
I watch for the day of gladness when Jesus will come again.
I try to remember the lessons he taught.
Then the Holy Spirit enters into my thoughts, saying:
"Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught."

No comments:

Post a Comment